A BRIEF HISTORY OF HOLY NAME PARISH
1918 - On May 12, a small group assembled on the second floor dance hall of the Johnson-Shaw Building on Woodward near Maple. Father John F. Needham, Pastor of St. Mary's Parish in Royal Oak had traveled by trolley to be celebrant of the Mass. During the next few years young people gathered at catechism classes at the home of T.J. Griffin on Greenwood. Other meetings took place at the home of John Glendon. In July, 1918, a 300 foot lot at the corner of Woodland and Harmon was designated as a site for a church, school, convent and rectory. In the following year Father Maurice Chawke succeeded Father Needham at St. Mary's. He continued to minister to the people of the "Birmingham Mission."
1921 - With the appointment of the Reverend William W. Ryan, as its first pastor, the Mission became a Parish under the title of Holy Name. Its boundaries included Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. In November work began on a church building, designed by the architectural firm of Arthur Des Rosiers.
1922 - On April 30th the new church, a Spanish style structure - 30' by 80' - was dedicated.
1928 - The first section of the school and convent for I.H.M. nuns were completed.
1931 - The parish was divided to provide for the erection of St. Hugo's Parish in Bloomfield Hills. The second pastor of Holy Name, Father James Cotter, was appointed. Father Alex Brunet became its first Assistant Pastor. It was at this time that the church was extended by 20 feet.
1940 - Father David Duncan became Pastor. He modified and beautified the church building. A home on Woodland, where the parish hall now stands, was purchased for a rectory. The old rectory at the corner of Woodland and Harmon was used for a kindergarten, a place for babysitting during Sunday Masses, for meetings, and for religious instruction. The parish paper, entitled The Spotlight, after the spotlight that illuminated the colorful cross over the front door of the church, was started by the Assistant Pastor, Father Ralph Barton.
1946 - The parish celebrated its 25th Anniversary.
1950 - An addition to the school is completed.
1951 - The convent is enlarged by the addition of a second building connected to the original structure by a breezeway.
1952 - Monsignor Carroll F. Deadly was named pastor. Sunday Masses at this time were held in the school gym and in the church. Plans for a new and larger church began.
1953 - Monsignor Eugene E. Paddock was appointed pastor of Holy Name Parish.
1954 - Construction of a new church, designed by George Diehl and Associates began.
1955 - The present church building, with seating for 900, was dedicated by Edward Cardinal Mooney.
1957 - The church is embellished by stained glass windows, mosaics and other artistic works. Six classrooms were added to the school.
1961 - Three classrooms, a library and a boys' locker room were added to the school and the cafeteria was enlarged.
1971 - Father Bernard Harrington was appointed Coadjutor Pastor.
1976 - Father Robert E. Burke was appointed Pastor.
1984 - Liturgical renovation of the church was completed in time for Christmas services.
1991 - Expansion of parish facilities.
1992 - Dedication of new parish facilities: Chapel, Parish Hall, Meeting Rooms, Gathering Space, Offices, Parking Lot, Elevators, and Landscaping.
1996 - 75th Anniversary Celebration of Holy Name Parish.
2000 - Updating of the Church facilities.
2002 - Addition of a new Parish Meeting Room and a Media Center for Holy Name School.
2003 - Father Robert E. Burke died in March after serving as pastor of Holy Name Parish for 26 1/2 years. Father Raymond J. Sayers was welcomed as Holy Name's new Pastor in July.
2005 - After 23 years as Weekend Associate, Msgr. Zenz leaves Holy Name to become an Episcopal Vicar for the Archdiocese of Detroit.
2008 - Father Raymond Sayers retires after 5 years at Holy Name.
2008 - Msgr. Zenz was appointed the new Pastor of Holy Name in June while still continuing his appointment as Episcopal Vicar of the Northwest Region for the Archdiocese of Detroit.